Sunday, June 23, 2013

Displayport Handshake Issues




Problem:

If you have a newer graphics card and display, you may use a Displayport connector to connector your computer and monitor.  When the computer falls asleep, sometimes it will not be able to wake back up again  and the monitors do not show any signal.  On other occasions this will manifest as one monitor not waking up properly even when the other will.  For me, this usually seems to happen to the main display. 

Solution:

The only immediate fix is to restart the computer.  I have tried combinations of power monitors on and off and plugging into different ports, but this does not produce any results.  In the long run, updating your graphics card drivers may assist with this.  I received some improvement after my most recent update for my AMD 7950 graphics card, but it still happens occassionally with my Dell U2412M monitors.

Musings:

This problem is another quick one for me.  This isn't as much a solution as a place to inform people about this known issue.  If you do a Google search for "Displayport Handshake Issues", you will see other people with this same problem.

It drives me nuts when new technology gives problems like this, DVI and VGA do not have the same potential issue.  However, this is just a result of being an early adopter.  It's been out for years, but from what I've seen on forums, many people are still using DVI even as it is slowly being phased out.  Who knows, it might even be a problem on Dell's end with the U2412M hardware.  The only other post I could easily find through a Google search seems to implicate Dell's monitors.

1 comment:

  1. I have the same problem with the Gigabyte Brix Pro i/ with Iris Pro and the Samsung 28" U28D590DS. But when I connect the HDMI cable the the screen aswell i get solid DisplayPort performance... I can only speculate......

    ReplyDelete